Tuesday, November 9, 2010

November 9, 2010

Just got back from the meeting with the suggested thoracic surgeon.  
The good news, the PET scan tells us that the cancer is not showing up in any other part of my body.
The not so good news, I will have to have a very invasive surgery done to remove the cancer.  This surgery ranks second to heart surgery in complexity.,
Basically, the surgeon will enter my chest to cut the cancer out.  By cutting it out, I mean,  the cut will be above the cancer and also below the cancer.  The piece will be removed and they will then turn me over on my back, enter my body, a second cut and 
pull the stomach up to meet the esophagus.  The two pieces will then be sewn together.
The pancreas is very close to the area where the operation will be performed.  The could be danger here.  There could also be an problem with the stitching of the two pieces, in that if it leaks, It could be life threatening and could require similar operations..
During this procedure, I will be fed through my stomach by an external feeder.  It will be removed sometime after the operation.  The following are true:  
  • the operation will take about 5 hours
  • my stay in the hospital will be for 6 to 10 days
  • my recovery will take about 4 to 6 weeks
When we first went to the office of the thoracic surgeon, I noticed on his door was the name Dr. Paul Braunstein, Junior.  This was curious so you know me, I had to ask. You see, Jews name there children after the deceased to memorialize them.  The Junior didn’t belong. He told me that his grandfather was jewish.  Well, as any jew worth their salt, the blood line of Judaism runs through the mother. Not sure how I feel about a non jewish surgeon.  LOL  I like and trust him very much.  I am also glad to be referred to him as he also teaches Thoracic Surgery in EVMS (Eastern Virginia Medical School}.
To be honest with you, when he was telling me about the process, while he was drawing it on the paper that I sat on for the examination, I was very clear headed and attentive.  I now have become a bit frightened.  Excuse me, little Max just started giving me kisses.  I swear he knows something is wrong. How sweet he is, how sweet they all are but I digress.
I still have the EUS scan (Endoscopic Ultra Sound) this coming Friday.  Will meet my oncologist next Tuesday.  When all the test are in, all of us will get together and work this out.  My operation is tentatively planned for the first week in December.
So many things are crossing my mind.  Took a nap after my medication and saw my mother and father holding hands, smiling and laughing.  Lois and Cathy were near by playing baseball of all things.  It is probably quite normal to think about your deceased loved ones when you are faced with your own vulnerability. 
It is not my time!      Love all of you very much

No comments: