Monday, November 15, 2010

Monday, November 15, 2010

Sorry for slipping up and not getting this out sooner.  I did have my EUS (Endoscopic Ultra Sound) on Friday.  
So far, everyone has been very nice and the procedures have happened within the time appointed.
The EUS was scheduled at DePaul Hospital Medical Center.  
When we arrived, in the waiting room, there was a lady that was shocked to see that we had taken residency right across from her and she did not see us arrive.  She had much on her mind.  Her husband of 90 yo had been taken back to the prep room about 2 hours ago and she had not heard a thing as to what was going on. 
She would have been a poster person for the perfect southern woman.  Neatly dressed, with sophistication and grace.  She was soft spoken and considerably nervous and lost.
She was taunted by the fact that he was by himself and she did not even know where he was being attended.
After watching her, feeling her pain and understanding her issue all too well, I realized that, in this room of people waiting to have procedures and/or operations, there was not a soul at the reception desk.  How thoughtless.  Our seniors need more consideration and they need patience and engagement from staff.
I also noticed that the door to the vault of missing patients was opened and people were coming and going through this formidable portal. There was a solution at hand.
Lester and I discussed the issue and Lester turned to the wonderfully expressive lady and said, “The door is opened.  Go up to the door and walk right through it and get some answers.”  She said, “Can I do that?” Well, after about four other guests sang praises to the idea, she took the encouragement and walked with dignity to the door, opened it up and disappeared.
About ten minutes later, she came bounding through the door with a big white hospital bag with her husbands belongings.  She looked years younger and had the color back in her cheeks.  She exclaimed that he had been in there for two hours and there was no news about when he would be seen by the attendants but she was relieved.
KNOCK KNOCK, De Paul Medical Center!  Who’s there?  Respect, Sensitivity and Understanding.
ANYWAY, I was taken into the back for prep.  My nurse was very sweet and efficient.  We went through all the paperwork, which Les usually fills out for me.  Seriously, if anything happens to me, and I want you to keep your eyes open, he could very easily take over my identity, well, except for the photo of me.  They call him Mr. Heard and they discuss all my medications with him as he surely is my medicine caretaker.
Rose asked when I last ate.  I told her that I have not had any food or drink since 12 the previous night.  It was now 130P. She understandingly mentioned that I must be starving.  I said, “you know, Rose, you are looking mighty good right now”.  Rose retaliated with, “ Honey, you are going to have to put a pound of tenderizer on me because I am a tough old bird!  We both laughed and went back to the questionnaire. 
Once settled in my backless gown and made quite comfortable, I felt it time to say hello to my neighbor.  I had heard him yawning numerous times and decided to see why.  Couldn’t just be that he is tired.
My attendant pulled back the curtain and there he was.  He had no idea who he was parked next to and could be held captive, so easily.  Now inquiring minds WILL know.
Bill is 50 yo and has his foot bandaged.  Looked pretty serious but all of a sudden I got thinking maybe I do not want to know.  That thought was foolish!  
Bill looks like he is about 35 and in excellent shape. By that, no weight issues, no visible scars or G_D, forbid, tattoos. LOL  He had all his teeth, unlike myself, and had a great outlook on life, family and his wonderful doctor.   Still, that bandaged foot had to be explained.
Bill had led a very, shall I say, exciting and damaging youth.  Drugs, sex and rock and roll was just part of his past.  Bill is diabetic.  I then asked the big question, as I am also diabetic.  “Bill, have you had any amputations?”  Half heartedly, thinking the answer would be “No”, he exclaimed that he had lost the toe on his left foot along with the “index toe”. You get that, right?  Not only on the left foot but he was getting a skin graft from his butt to repair an issue with his right foot big toe.  Funny that you would never be able to tell .
Bill then began telling me his story.  He didn’t realize that he is already preaching to the choir.  His realization was moderation in anything that you do.  Moderation in your eating habits, moderation in your drug habits, in your relationship habits and finally, moderation is just how much you allow YOU to hurt or damage yourself.  I think we can all understand his point of view. Bottom line, from both mine and Bill’s experiences, what you do in your earlier life comes back to haunt you in your later life.  Can I get an AMEN ?   
Someday, when you are 50, or older, think back to this blog and remember this very sound experience was shared with you and you ignored it.  G_D knows I did.
Suddenly, I was whisked away to the procedure room.  I was introduced to two nurses, Rita and Camellia and my tech, Len. Len kept a low profile but there seemed to be some misunderstanding of who was to be my nurse, Rita or Camellia.  Rita asked me which one of them did I want.  Hey, I have had some experience with women before, just ask my friend and mother of my children.  So I said what any red blooded male would say, “I think I’ll take both of you”.  They laughed and I was out of danger.
Before, as I was being rushed to the prod room, no misspelling here, Rita asked me if I had ever met Dr. Sullivan before now.  I hadn’t.  She went on to explain that he was very young looking for someone in his thirties.  I mentioned that he was a baby.  No he really looks young.  I asked”You mean like jail young?”.  She blushed.  It was pretty certain that Camellia liked working with Dr. Sullivan.
Now we were in a situation that Camellia might not have the opportunity to WORK by his side.
Well, here he comes swaggering down the hall.  Actually that is not true. He walked very normally down the hall.  He had a big smile, looked to be in his twenties, and damn it, perfectly tasseled hair.  He was very attentive to me and answered all of my questions.
The procedure was starting shortly and Camellia and Len were at gurney side.  I asked Camellia what happened to Rita and she gave me the strangest wink.  Hmmm.
I was immediately given an elastic strap that went around my neck.  This strap had a piece of plastic under my throat.  This was to be used to support the camera that would shortly be going down my throat for the ultrasound. 
The drugs were good as I do not remember anything after the mask was placed over my face.  Dr. Sullivan told Lester that I was a great patient.  He was able to get the necessary ultra sound.  The EUS told us that the tumor is outside the wall of the esophagus.  The tumor is growing into my body.  A biopsy of the lymph-nodes was taken and will be examined.
My next appointment is tomorrow.  My oncologist, Dr. Valiant Tan, will probably have more information. I hope so.
My last appointment will be next Tuesday with the thoracic surgeon.  By that time, all the information will be looked at and we will discuss treatment.  
Thank you so much for letting me get carried away with thought as it keeps me sane. Humor is a wonderful medicine.
I love you all and thank you for caring.  Thank you also for taking this journey with me. 

No comments: